I’ve been fortunate over the years to bring together my passion for animals and nature and integrate them into my long established counselling and psychotherapy practice. I’ve been fortunate to work with a wide variety of client groups from settings including special needs schools, colleges, foster care, residential care, supporting clients with mental health problems, emotional and behavioural difficulties, autistic spectrum disorders and learning difficulties.
I offer workshops on Animal and Equine Assisted Interventions which are tailored to suit the needs of individuals and professional groups. These half-day or one day workshops are designed as a thorough introduction to the above interventions and can focus on different aspects including:
- What are Animal and Equine Assisted Activities and Therapies?
- How do they fit with counselling, psychotherapy and other therapeutic or clinical interventions?
- Why and when might they be helpful and to which clients?
- Standards and Definitions
- Theoretical frameworks and models
- Setting up a new programme
- Safe practice
- Selecting suitable animals (species and individuals) for this work
- Matching clients and animals
- Animal welfare – the law, ethical and moral considerations
- Interactive work
Workshops can be run on your own premises which makes effective use of your time and resources and ensures that training is specific to the needs of your staff team and client group but this does incur additional travel expenses depending on your location. Alternatively my premises and animals are available for training workshops. I am based in West Yorkshire about 8 miles from Huddersfield.
I also host themed workshops throughout the year, for example ,Equine Assisted Mindfulness, building confidence, facing our challenges, what belongs to you what belongs to me and many more. Shamanic drum journeying with the horses is usually run seasonally 4 times a year led by our shamanic drummer.